"Cheer up. Remember what the Monty Python boys say."
"Always look on the bright side of life?"
"No, 'Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.'"


Tuesday, March 18, 2008

"They got the fire down below." **NOW WITH PICTURES**

Conversation with myself on the way to work this morning.

“I smell rubber burning.”


“Is that smoke?”


“That is a flame.”


“Pull over and call someone, Tammy.”


“911, Where is the address to your emergency.”


“There is no address. I am on the side of the road around the corner on R.ip Ra.p Roa.d and my car is on fire.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That is my morning. It is more than likely a recall issue that we just found out about over the weekend. A recall that G.en.eral Mo.tor doesn’t have all the parts for yet.

It may not be the recall and then insurance will not cover it because it was not an accident and was not an act of God/Nature. Yippee Skippy.

So now, I need to crap out some money to get another car. Somehow, I need to make room in the budget to make a car payment.

Can I go back to bed and start over this morning?

Bleck.

~~~~~~~~~~Reflections After the Fire~~~~~~~~~~
  • So, I am shaken and I am a little jittery due to the car fire this morning. Just over two years ago, I was privey to the same sort of smell and those memories can rushing back.
  • My mom died in February of 2006, in a house fire. She escaped but not soon enough to save herself; my dad was working late. I am lucky, my car may have caught fire but I had plenty of time to get out and get to a safe area. (On a side note, I was standing in the rain, getting soaked as I watched my car burn. Yesterday's post was not supposed to be forshadowing.) My dad came home to find the house in flames and ran in to find my mother. I can't imagine the living with those memories the rest of my life.
  • I walked through the house several weeks later, with my DH and my uncle, hoping to salvage a little (we did) and it still haunts me when I see or smell a house fire. Now I can add care fire to that list.
  • I will have to find another car and then deal with Gen.eral M.ot.ors, hoping it was the recall issue. But I am safe and I am grateful that I am safe. The fireman asked me if there was anything in the car that I wanted before it was towed and I realized, I walked away with the most important thing of all, my life.
  • For that, I am blessed.

14 comments:

dayzofrain said...

I can totally relate. When I was sixteen--a group of friends and I were in my step-mothers van crossing a rather long six lane bridge in the middle lane. The engine caught fire and we were stuck on the side of the bridge (its always nice lookin at the black of water in the middle of the night) for just about five hours.

She didn't however get a newer car.

I know about tight budgets too and I hope you can work it out--and that your insurance isn't anal.

Tammy said...

I would have freaked out at 16 if that happened to me. Wow.

Unfortunately, insurance will not cover a mechanical malfunction. And until GM says it isn't a recal issue, we are stuck.

My boss is letting me borrow her extra van for a few days. I think we will get a new-to-me car this weekend.

Jen said...

Tammy, I'm so glad that you are all right! That is really scary. I sure hope everything works out with your car and that you're not out a bunch of money. I mean how much shit can life throw at one person at once anyhow?

Tammy said...

I think I am in a crap tsunami some days... lol.

I think that everything will work out, I just don't know how, yet.

Amy Paden said...

Ugh.. What a day. Glad that you are okay though.

Try looking on craigslist, you may be able to find something at a reasonable price on there. When JP's car was having engine issues, we looked on there and saw some decent things.

Tammy said...

Doug's looking at Auto Trader first since that is where we found the truck.

I just hope I get apporved for a smallish loan.

MrsDrink said...

Wow hunny, I am so sorry about your mom; I didn't know that. (((HUGS)))

I am so grateful that you were not hurt...it must have been your mom looking out for you. It sucks that you have to find a new car, but at least you CAN find a new car. Finding a new life doesn't happen.

(((BIG HUGS)))

Tammy said...

I even told the fireman that I had gotten the most important thing out of the care, me... lol

Thank you, Honey.

I am just now at the point where I can admit that about my mom.

Anonymous said...

Wow are those some pictures! Yesterday I thought there might be some damage but that it didn't sound like your car was in too bad of shape. Boy was I wrong. Thank God you got stopped and out of the car!
Good luck looking for a car. That is never fun. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I can't begin to imagine how traumatic that must have been for you.

Tammy said...

Lori - It took me until later that day for it to really sink in. I am just lucky that is stayed in the front of the car and not the rear. Someone was looking out for me that day... :o)

jenn said...

It really is frighteningly real when you see the photos- I'm so glad you're okay.

I've tagged you for some disraction by the way- I hope it can take your mind off things for a minute...

Birdee said...

Your story brought tears to my eyes. I can’t believe how lucky you are. I'm so glad your safe, It could have been so much worse.
I'm terrified of fire and I don’t recall ever having any reason why.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry that you had the tragedy of your mother's death, and it's so scary that you experienced a fire as well. I'm glad you were not hurt, but I can imagine all the memories it brings up.